Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ok... I'm ready now..

So there is a BIG reason why I have not updated the blog.. or anything recently...

The reason is.. our baby arrived 12 days late.

I have heard of lateness however, this was simply unreal.  Groundhog day was every day.  She simply did not want to 'drop' down.. and BELIEVE me, I tried EVERYTHING!  Therefore, I had a date to get induced 10 days after my due date on February 17th at 2pm - we went to Southern General Hospital - about a 15 minute drive from our apartment. New and renovated, the hospital is excellent.  The staff were wonderful, attentive and caring. I cannot say enough about my experience - well, maybe the length of it was just a bit.... LONG.. however, worth the wait.

Here I am on the 'birthing ball' in the hospital after taking my first round of medication... feeling peachy, trying to move things along.. however, the moved.. VERY slowly... at one point I firmly believed nothing was going to happen.

Glamour Shot of me in the hospital TV room before Mom and Dad came by for a visit (Mad Men was even on the TV).  I think a bit after this photo I started to have contractions.. there was a bath across the hall so I simply took a bath and walked around quite a lot because I wanted to get GOING! This evening, I actually had an entire room of 3 beds to myself therefore, Brent stayed with me for the entire evening (which was against the rules but they allowed it) and was wonderful!

After a morphine induced sleep on Friday night, I was given more drugs to get things going on Friday morning... FINALLY! on Friday at around 3pm, I had the approval to go downstairs to the Labour Ward.  Here is an outside shot.  We were in one of the rooms on the bottom floor and stayed there from 3pm Friday to 3am Saturday. On the plus side, the room was brand new and even had an ipod dock to play some music we brought with us.  The midwifes (nurses) were AMAZING! We had one with us from 7:30pm until the baby came at 3am.  She took no breaks, was helpful, attentive, friendly and SOOO wonderful with us.