Here's a little update on my chatty and happy Ruby baby. First off, her size... officially OFF THE CHART for her length. I had thoughts she was taller than other babies as I look around and see babies her size, walking, eating full meals, full mouths of teeth.. so I took her to be measured and weighed... and boy, was I suprised. Her weight is a healthy 21.5 lbs (in the 94th percentile) and her length a whopping 76cm - off the chart in the 102nd percentile!
We are eating solids now... I have purchased a copy of 'Great Expectations: Best food for your baby and toddler' and am following their guidelines on when to introduce what. It's a very informative book. I highly recommend it - the book is full of recipes, ideas and nutrition charts. It is cautious on what foods to introduce when - as here in the UK, babies jump right into all sorts of foods at 6 months. Also, 1 out of every 3 mums I meet follow 'baby-led weaning' or BLW. This is at 6 months, putting basically anything (excluding foods with bones) in front of your baby and letting them eat it. As someone who taught infant and child CPR for years, I cannot comprehend the numerous choking hazards that the BLW philosophy represents by not pureeing foods for your baby.. but, when people tell me about it, they rave about it so I just nod my head and say, we're using spoons for now. :-)
Since I have the time, I make everything that Ruby eats except for when we are on the go. When we are on the go, we've been eating Ella's Organics. Big Fan! I find it really simple to integrate making her meals into my schedule. We have an organic fruit and veg grocery around the corner so weekly, I do my grocery online order for Brent and myself then just pick up some fruit and veg from the grocer when we need it. I puree and steam different things and when it's time to eat, I just mix together whatever looks good... So far, so good!
Ruby eats:
Apples: Thumbs UP!
Pears: Thumbs Up!
Plumb: Thumbs WAY UP! (surprisingly)
Spinach (mixed with sweet potato): Thumbs UP - or anything mixed with sweet potato.. thumbs up!
Carrots - so/so - I've tried mixing with apples and other things but still so, so..
Yellow Squash- Thumps Up.
Green Beans: Thumbs Up
Red Lentils: Tolerable
Avocado: Tolerable
Peas: Yuck (I tried a few times with this one) - oh well, I didn't like them either as a child.
Banana: Thumbs Down (I'm not giving up) but I've tried all sorts of ways... she is slightly interested as a finger food.
For finger foods:
Raisins: THUMBS, FINGERS, everything WAY UP!
Rice Cakes: Ok, fun to eat..
Whole wheat pasta: Yuck!
Boiled Carrots and other veggies: Yuck! -- but I guess no one really eats bland boiled veg anyways, so I can understand that one. I am very skeptical of the snacks for babies they sell in the store so we are taking the finger foods slow until Ruby grows her teeth.
Happy 8 month birthday Ruby! You are adventurous, fun, smiley, chatty, coy, and cuddly. I cannot wait for what's to come.. or maybe, I can.. you are perfect at 8 months.
ps: at 3.95, this is the most expensive cupcake I have EVER bought - that's 6 dollars for you USA people. Not the best either. Oh well. It's for her birthday. :-)